FIELD ASSISTANT (INTERN) PROGRAM POLICY & PROCEDURES
Purpose/Duration: The purpose of the Field Assistant Program is to expose the Field Assistant to the work of missions and for them to assist the ministry of the Field Coordinator. The Field Coordinator will define the nature of the work and the role of their Field Assistant. The Field Assistant Program is not a program suited for an individual’s Holidays or Cross Cultural getaway.
A Field Assistant’s term is from 30 to 120 days. Additional training and preparation equivalent to that of the Field Coordinator is required for those going beyond 120 days.
Individuals who want to work with a Field Coordinator must have advance approval from Missionary Ventures USA (MVUSA). Those looking to work beyond 120 days will need to be approved by MVUSA.
Field Reporting Relationship:
Prior to the Field Assistant going to the field, they will:
• Work with the MVUSA Office to process their application.
• Receive appropriate training and preparation from the MVUSA office.
• Communicate directly with MVUSA office. The office will synchronize plans with the Field Coordinator.
In the field, the Field Assistant will:
• Report to the Field Coordinator to whom they are assigned.
In the field, the Field Coordinator will:
• Outline the expectations in advance for the period of service,
• Modify the expectations as needed to most closely conform to the Field Assistant’s capability and the field’s needs.
MVUSA is the ultimate authority under which the Field Assistant serves. MVUSA will be responsible for the Field Assistant from initial contact through return and debrief.
Training and Preparation:
The MVUSA office will define the orientation and training that is needed for individual Field Assistant. The preparation will generally parallel and build on the training of a team trip member.
Individuals wishing to be a Field Assistant with Missionary Ventures will complete and submit:
• Field Assistant application
• Copy of the information page of their passport with a visible picture
• Three References
• A Health Physical Form and
• A doctors recommendation
All applications are to be approved in advance by the office.
Should discipline of a Field Assistant be required, the Field Coordinator will have this authority, including the authority to immediately remove a Field Assistant from the field if necessary. Removal from the field will be at the Field Assistant’s own expense.
Information Packet and Agreement:
The Field Assistant will be provided a packet from their sending MVUSA Office that will generally include for example:
1. A Cost Letter
2. Release of Liability Agreement
3. Behavioral Guidelines
4. Country Information Sheet
5. Team Member Handbook (Suggested Packing List included)
6. Any other required MVUSA Office Forms
All Field Assistants will be required to obtain and maintain health/trip insurance for the duration of their time of service. Evidence of insurance must be provided to the office in advance of leaving. Lapse of coverage can necessitate an early return.
MVUSA Office will establish a budget for the time period the Field Assistant will be serving. This budget will include: roundtrip transportation to the country of ministry, including in-country transportation, food, lodging, insurance, special projects, and will advise you regarding personal expenses.
1. Food, lodging, and in-country ministry transportation is included in your cost. These funds will be distributed to the field from the MVUSA accounting office.
2. NOTE: Personal spending money and transportation cost are not included and are not able to be distributed to the Field Assistant from the MVUSA accounting office.
3. Medical/Health Insurance is mandatory and is in addition to your trip cost.
4. Administrative fees are usually included in your trip cost.
5. Project Funds (It is recommended that the Field Assistant consider raising funds to support trip expense and projects.)
*NOTE: All Field Assistants will be required to have a return ticket at time of departure from the sending country.
All Field Assistants will be asked to have sufficient funds on hand with the MVUSA Office to cover their budget before leaving. In the case where funds are not available at the time of scheduled departure, the Field Assistants can be released to go at the discretion of the MVUSA Office, as long as there are firm commitments of support to meet the balance of the required funding. A shortfall of funds can prompt the MVUSA office to require the Field Assistant’s early return.
Missionary Ventures International has complete control and administration over the use of donated funds; unless excess funds are being raised to go toward special projects, which must be designated in writing to the MVUSA team trip department and MVI accounting.
Each Field Assistant is asked to review their taxation handling with the local MVUSA accounting office, if applicable, and to seek tax advice on the matter of Taxation. Note some general provisions below.
MVUSA is a non-profit corporation; therefore all donations may be deducted for tax purposes. In order to receive the tax deduction, checks must be written to Missionary Ventures International. Please have your supporters send all checks made out to Missionary Ventures International, with your name on the information line of the check. Each supporter will receive a tax deduction statement.
Since it is the purpose of the Field Assistant’s trip to be a blessing to the field served, any excess funds raised beyond those budgeted and actually needed to sustain the Field Assistant are to be used at the discretion of Missionary Ventures International with the input from the Field Coordinator and the Field Assistant (including the possible benefit of the Field Coordinator). The Field Assistant must advise MVUSA Team Trip Department and MVI accounting, in writing, if they are raising excess funds for special projects. Otherwise, any excess funds will be applied to general funds of the office and/or field.
Contact ShaRi Tarpley (email@example.com) for more information.